Bruce Jack's blog

A stream-of-my-thoughts blog. Whatever pops into my mind. I'm starting out in the world of (project) management, so there might be some posts about that too.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

wanted: a rubber duck

I've noticed a few times in the past that I tend to find the solutions to my own problems when I describe them aloud (before the person I'm speaking to has time to answer). So, after reading this post from Kenneth W. Davis, I might just try experimenting with my own rubber duck.

The principle is simple. Get a rubber duck. When you're stuck, tell the duck what's wrong. The act of talking to the duck will get you to look at your problem from another angle, and you'll probably discover that you knew the solution all along.

Although in his post, he describes this as a method for getting over writer's block, I can imagine this idea as being very helpful in a multitude of situations.

Does anyone have a rubber duck to spare?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anthony said...

I talked to my dog when I had a dog. Luckily she sat by my desk when I was at the computer. Now that I no longer have a dog I talk to myself when I am doing the dishes. Suffice it to say, I have not talked to myself most of this week.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home