Bruce Jack's blog

A stream-of-my-thoughts blog. Whatever pops into my mind. I'm starting out in the world of (project) management, so there might be some posts about that too.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

don't let email run your life

I just read an interesting article about how to better handle your email. Thank you Jay. Jay's article links to 43 folders' article about keeping your inbox at zero.
Now, my email inbox isn't empty, but I'd say I'm not too bad at it.
Here are the rules I try to live by:
  1. It's amazing how much time it takes to keep switching between working/emailing/working/emailing. Stop wasting time. Disable all notification that you have new messages.
  2. Since you'll no longer be notified you have new email, read your email a few times per day. I generally do when I arrive in the morning and after lunch (sometimes also before going home).
  3. When you read your email, try to apply the 5 D's:
    1. Delete it (a lot of email can be deleted)
    2. Do it. If it takes less than 2 minutes, do it now.
    3. Delay it. If it takes more than 5 minutes, put it off, schedule some time, and do it later.
    4. Delegate it. Lots of things you are asked to do shouldn't be done by you, but by someone else. Send it to the right person.
Now, I realise these guidelines don't necessarily apply to everyone. People doing urgent customer support can't necessarily wait until after lunch to read their email.
We have a habit of thinking that all of our email is urgent. So you really have to think about it quite seriously, is your email really urgent? Is it so urgent that you should lose overall productivity because the effect of not answering it immediately is that important? It's hard to come to that realisation, but chances are, your email isn't that urgent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are so many other jobs that requires "immediate attention" to emails. if i am reading ur bog is because i trust the web, if you trust the web u consider an emai as important as a fax or a phone call.
ur 5 d not bad, i know mr jack has an almost clean inbox. i have 11324 emails in my mail box, some classified, some not. if i need a proof, i can find it, if i need to contact someone, i can track it down.
1) i do not agree with you
2) you don't care
3) i hope you changed ur mob's seat...
cheers
m

Monday, June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anthony said...

I agree. Unfortunately, most people will not or do not do this. Proof = Popularity of the Blackberry.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home