Bruce Jack's blog

A stream-of-my-thoughts blog. Whatever pops into my mind. I'm starting out in the world of (project) management, so there might be some posts about that too.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

manifesto, part 2

Well, I just 'finished'. It was an interesting exercise which isn't over yet.
For the first five minutes, the ideas were pouring out at a rythm that I thought I would be done (I thought it should fit on one page) within the hour. Then I started having too many ideas. I won't share them all here yet, but I can give a few examples. (I'll be posting the manifesto here later)
  1. Think before you act.
  2. Listen twice as much as you speak. Be succinct and clear. (Remember that 10% of a message is contained in the words. The other 90% are other things, like your eyes facial expression and tone. Remember this when you speak. Remember this even more when you listen.)
  3. Use your right brain as much as possible.
  4. Help others. Remember that it's more important to help people in the long-term than in the short-term.
  5. See things from the other person's point of view. (I have an example regarding an apple that I quite like, but I can't find a link right now.)
  6. Look at this list every day for 15 minutes to see if you're following it.
  7. etc
So much to my surprise, I came up with 21, and I don't think I'm done yet.

After all, it was a good idea to consecrate one hour. I'll put another hour aside soon to keep working on it.

The next step would be to categorise the list (using a mind-map) and see what I can do to make it clearer/easier/shorter. I have a feeling it's going to get longer before it gets shorter though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are animals.
this could take forever.
we could drink the all rits's cantina discussing about it.
for more info on my idea : my thesis
cheers
m

Tuesday, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous anthony said...

i follow this manifesto. so far it hasnt helped me much.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home