Bruce Jack's blog

A stream-of-my-thoughts blog. Whatever pops into my mind. I'm starting out in the world of (project) management, so there might be some posts about that too.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

a cool little toy

i just found a cool little tool that creates these interesting maps of websites. Jay Cross' Internet Time Blog gives more information.

I would really like it if you could mouse-over the little dots to get more information, or maybe even see a thumbnail of the site/image.

This is what it gave for the URL for my blog (right before this post):

Sunday, May 28, 2006

manifesto, part 2

Well, I just 'finished'. It was an interesting exercise which isn't over yet.
For the first five minutes, the ideas were pouring out at a rythm that I thought I would be done (I thought it should fit on one page) within the hour. Then I started having too many ideas. I won't share them all here yet, but I can give a few examples. (I'll be posting the manifesto here later)
  1. Think before you act.
  2. Listen twice as much as you speak. Be succinct and clear. (Remember that 10% of a message is contained in the words. The other 90% are other things, like your eyes facial expression and tone. Remember this when you speak. Remember this even more when you listen.)
  3. Use your right brain as much as possible.
  4. Help others. Remember that it's more important to help people in the long-term than in the short-term.
  5. See things from the other person's point of view. (I have an example regarding an apple that I quite like, but I can't find a link right now.)
  6. Look at this list every day for 15 minutes to see if you're following it.
  7. etc
So much to my surprise, I came up with 21, and I don't think I'm done yet.

After all, it was a good idea to consecrate one hour. I'll put another hour aside soon to keep working on it.

The next step would be to categorise the list (using a mind-map) and see what I can do to make it clearer/easier/shorter. I have a feeling it's going to get longer before it gets shorter though.

manifesto, part 1

So I've been wanting to write a manifesto for quite some time. Writing this manifesto is important, but not urgent, so i always put it off. I think part of the problem is that I always expect to finish it in one sitting. That doesn't make sense. So, today, I'm going to start my manifesto.
I'm going to give myself one hour.
I just gotta do a few things first...